Sunday, April 3, 2011

My White Horse

Day 3.

It's Sunday and it's a darn good thing. I headed off to church today, to learn a bit more about what Dave had to say about Revelation. We worked through chapters 6-8 and it was a bit more than I anticipated. I've really been enjoying this book and was excited to learn some more this morning.

Chapter 6 begins by talking about a White Horse. Now to be honest, I always thought this White Horse meant Jesus. (Go read it. I don't have the emotional energy to get into it right now). But we went with the assumption that this White Horse means a deceiver, someone posing as Jesus.

We continued on through 3 chapters, total, yet I was fixated on the first 2 verses we discussed.

I'm deceived.

I live in a world of deception.

I have been SO mad this whole time at consumerism. At our culture. At American Society. What I'm learning is that that is not the problem: I am. I got to thinking about all the things I wanted. What I mostly wanted was some clothes. Maybe a new dress or a pair of jeans or something. (Follow me here). A nice new outfit to cover the nakedness I would be without it. The point being I am not okay with being stripped down to only me.

I want to run out and grab a new outfit, just to feel good about myself. Had too much to eat this weekend? Grab a new shirt. You'll feel better. Feeling like you haven't lost all your baby weight? Grab a new pair of jeans. You'll feel better.

This consumerism thing. The thing I'm fighting. It's not about anybody else. It's about me. I'm my own white horse. I'm deceiving myself into thinking I'm not good enough. What's worse is that I'm convincing myself that buying things will make me feel better. Will make me appear better.

So that's where I am today. Beginning to see (though I think I already knew) that at this point, consumerism isn't the problem: it's my response to it. I give it. I buy into the "you need it" philosophy of life. Until I get beyond that, nothing in my life will change. I need to learn to be okay with me and stop covering it with a new outfit or a new possession. I'm more than that and my purpose goes beyond it.

It seems this consumerism idea is consuming me.

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff!!! And you are definitely right...and unfortunately not the only one who feels this way. I do it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Liz... this is gut check stuff right here. Thanks for posting this girl.

    ReplyDelete